Chocolate Pudding (Without Cornstarch)

2013-04-27 21.44.54

Most homemade pudding recipes require the use of cornstarch to solidify its texture, but not having any on hand, I used a recipe that used flour as a thickener instead, and the results were pretty good! Flour creates a more custard-like texture than cornstarch would; a spoon that cuts into a pudding thickened with flour leaves a spoon-shaped cavity, whereas a cornstarch-thickened pudding probably wouldn’t. The downside to this recipe is that it requires an immersion stick blender, whereas a cornstarch-thickened pudding just requires your tireless attention for about 15 minutes.

2013-04-27 21.46.36

This recipe ended up really rich for how little pudding it generates, so it really stretches your dessert dollar. It’s rich and chocolatey, and for some added texture, grate some semisweet chocolate over it.

Chocolate Pudding (Without Cornstarch)
Makes 4-5 portions
From Christian HomeKeeper

1/4 c flour
6 Tablespoons sugar
2 1/3 cups whole milk (I used 2% and it was fine)
dash of salt
4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon good vanilla extract

Place all dry ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Gradually add the milk and butter, blending thoroughly with a stick blender.
Set over a low flame and stir until the pudding thickens and starts to bubble when you stop stirring for a moment.
Turn off heat. Cool slightly, blend in vanilla.

P.S. Check out my blog post: It’s True, The Way To A Man’s Heart *Is* Through His Stomach

19 comments
  1. Jamila said:

Nice! I added a dash to two of cayenne powder.

2. Allyssa said:

You do not need an immersion stick blender for this, as log as you stir continuously until all lumps are gone!

3. shae said:

durring the boiling process i added a packet of knox unflavored gelitin and it came out fine. had a nice hold to it.

4. Barbara Peters said:

Aaaand I still came out with a runny, watery delicious flavored gravy mix.
    How long is this supposed to set for?!

• Jin said:

Hi Barbara, did you use a stick blender? It shouldn’t really need time to set.

• cat said:

do you have to use a stick blender?

• Jin said:

You do not. I just whisked it vigorously, and if you’re okay with a few small lumps here and there, it works perfectly 🙂

5. Thank you! I just made it.. used a whisk in a pot. It turned out great!!! if it’s too runny for people, maybe they arent heating it until it’s thick? o.O Thanks for the wonderful recipe!!

6. Rain F said:

Love this recipe. It turned out perfectly, although I didn’t have any vanilla extract on hand, I used 1 generous teaspoon of Kahlua, very nice flavour. To the woman who turned it to gravy, I’m sure you either heated it too fast or you didn’t heat it long enough. On setting “3” on my burner (9 being the highest), it took just over 30 minutes total to heat the pudding before it started to really thicken, and that was with me standing over it, whisking every few minutes so as not to burn the milk.

7. zeenah sadha said:

The description of how to make the pudding was not good try to put them in a correct order n method so that we can try them easy…

8. Minahil said:

Perfect recipe

• Adina Basu said:

Ok can you tell me how did it taste

9. Heather said:

I really like this recipe! I used it for chocolate pie, and it was delicious with whipped cream on top 🙂

10. Rachel said:

I loved this so much I made a chocolate and vanilla and used it to make a fruit tart filling! It was absolutely amazing

11. Kimberly said:

If it’s coming out too thin, you can always use also like I did..which was use peanut butter powder. Unless you’re not a fan of chocolate and pb, but it was delicious!

12. Heather said:

We love this pudding on top of waffles! I’ve never had a problem with it not thickening up. It always turns out wonderfully.

13. Adina Basu said:

I like this receipe

14. amie said:

Add the milk to dry ingredients and then add already softened butter. I needed a vanilla pudding recipe and stumbled upon this one. Seemed easy enough so I just did not add the cocoa. It came our amazing and now it is my go to. I used a pot and rubber whisk. I’ve also substituted the vanilla with hazkenut

15. Vongai said: